20 THINGS I HAVE LEARNT IN MY 20s SO FAR
“I look back on my 20s and I have been so concerned with what I don’t have and what I still want”
It was just yesterday I was in my early 20s, now I am in my mid 20s. It’s crazy how time flies. My 20s have been the prime of my life, the most crucial and the most beautiful. I have made mistakes, had lots of fun and grown to be the person I am today.
I am still on that ’20s journey’ but here is a list of what I have learnt so far;
1. Don’t focus so much on the future that you ignore what is in front of you
Don’t future-trip relationships or work so hard that you can’t enjoy the little things
2. It’s okay to say no
So many times in our 20s we feel the pressure to do something we don’t really like or want. If your friends are pressuring you to drink alcohol and you don’t want to, say ‘no’ and mean it.
3. Your mistakes don’t define you
As human beings, we all make mistakes but most of the time we forgive others and become too hard on ourselves.
We can’t go back in time and undo the mistakes, but we can focus on what we want to create in the future. We have got to learn to deal with, love, appreciate and forgive ‘us’ first.
4. Learn how to be alone and enjoy your own company
You aren’t valuable as a person just because you have a partner. Being alone is healthy. It’s great to have ‘me’ time and figure ‘you’ out.
5. Relationships will fail and it will hurt
Don’t force yourself into loving anyone. If it is not working in the beginning, it probably won’t work ever. Sometimes love isn’t enough. Accept it and move on. You will survive and learn important things from it.
6. You will find love when you least expect. The minute you stop looking for love, it is when it will come for you. Trust me on this one.
7. Don’t compare yourself to other people
Comparisons to other people can destroy you. The only comparison you should make is the person you were, the person you are and the person you want to be.
8. Your happiness comes first
Most of the time we think that we need to work really hard to be successful and that will make us happy. But the fact remains that success doesn’t make us happy, being happy will bring success. You can’t wait for happiness. You’ve to fight for happiness and it comes before anything. Don’t spend so much time pursuing happiness that you forget you have access to it at any moment you choose.
9. Do what you want to do when you want to do it and not what others want you to do
When you do what you love, the rest will fall into place.
10. You can be anything you want, but you will have to work really hard for it
11. Trust your gut
Is there something that feels off about that guy you have started dating? If you think he likes you, you’re probably right. Does that job offer seem too good to be true? Your instincts will never lead you astray.
12. Don’t lose touch with your spiritual life.Know what you believe
13. Learn to live well within your means
Make a budget and stick to it.
14. Pay attention to the red flags
Is he hot tempered? Is he overprotective? Do not ignore the red flags.
15. Don’t wait to do something until you have money
If you want to save money to do something, do it now. Don’t postpone until when you have money because there’s never enough money or time so spend both wisely. The older you get the more responsibilities you have and more things to spend money on.
16. You can choose your friends
By looking for what I want in friendship, I know when I have the connection and when I don’t. You can’t force friendship.
17. Learn how to take negative people out of your life and surround yourself with people who allow you to be your best self.
18. Expect critics
Not everyone will like you and you are not going to like everyone. Criticism will come. Expect it. Don’t run from it. Listen to it, but don’t give it power. Just be yourself.
19. Network and keep in touch with professional connections
People you have worked with or introduced to by others, met at networking events or school, keep in touch. You never know when you will need them in future when looking for job or business connections.
20. Enjoy this time in your life 🙂
Thanks for reading!
Love & Love.
Dress: Gladrags & Handbags (Westlands Rd 57)
Metallic Belt: Forevertrendy22
Watch: Calvin Klein